Tuesday, January 13, 2009

End of the Road...the Final First 5...at Least On this Site

Trying to give two blogs the proper amount of time just can't happen with my busy schedule...of watching Hogan's Heroes and Scrubs. So, what I've done is decided to give up this site and put it only on my main site, Sneaky Daddy. Every Friday will be a First 5 Friday on that site. If you love lists, it will remain one day a week on SD.

But, I figured I'd give you guys a final First 5 as a good bye to this home...

First 5 Country Musicians...In Lane's World.

For me to any other form of music would be like a dog comparing kitty litter. I'm aware of them, they just don't do it for me. Do I believe my list is the absolute best in country music all time. Nope. Just the ones I like...ya don't agree, make your own list.

5. George Strait-He was country music for the 80's and 90's. So many of his songs were number ones that I can't even begin to count them. On any other person's list he would be at least number one. But, my lists are supposed to be intriguing so, George, enjoy your First 5 Status.

4. Clint Black-Killing Time is one of my favorite CD's. I had a buddy of mine actually tell me that ever song on there reminded him of his first great failed relationship and then explained exactly how during a long....long trip in North Texas. Can any country CD ever want more.

3. Garth Brooks-I know he's weird and his career jumped the shark, but his first couple of CD's are still some of the best ever produced. Some of his songs have deeper meaning for me than I can ever hope to convey...or choose to. That's why he edges George and Clint.

2. Marty Robbins-I grew up on Merle (Haggard) and Marty (Robbins). My love of Marty's music stuck. Not the love songs...they kind of suck...but the gunfighter ballads...'They're Hangin' Me Tonight', 'The Ballad of Billy The Kid', 'Big Iron', etc. His story telling was superb on several fronts. You really get the feel for the poor stupid cowhand in 'El Paso.' I like stories and his music gave me a lot to digest.

1. Robert Earl Keen-Probably because of Marty did I find myself revolving toward REK. His brand of music has the accomplished story telling feel. Every time he sings, you feel like it's you, him, and a few buddies downing a few beers on a porch. He has many songs of that speak of sort of darker tones and some with a lot of humor.

Well, there's my last list on this site...sort of autobiographical...so to speak. Don't forget, troll over to Sneaky Daddy for your fix of First 5 Lists.



3 comments:

  1. GReat blog I have trouble some times with one blog so your doing great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wayne. I appreciate it...that's why I'm going to just one blog. I love this concept, so I'm going to have a First Five Friday, but doing enough updates on two just wasn't gonna happen...love your blog too, Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet site and I will follow you to your other one. Big Clint Black fan by the way.

    ReplyDelete