Saturday, December 20, 2008

Random Christmas Thoughts...Traditional Notions...and of course a First 5 List

Christmas comes in all of its splendor...or splenda...I get 'em mixed up...you know, the one that isn't a sweetner. In the wake of the season, one turns their mind to the traditional trappings of Christmas. In my almost 30 (40, really) years of candy cane receiving, mall hopping, traffic cursing, and, occassional bible versing, I have discovered some of my favorite traditions have gone the way of the Do Do Bird. In the 'Lane' early days our traditions were these. Putting up the Christmas Tree the day after Thanksgiving to the sounds of the record 'Best Little Whorehouse In Texas.' On Christmas Eve the siblings and I would gather around the 13 inch non plasma television to watch Ghostbusters. But, also, on Christmas Eve we would go to church...have friends out...read the Christmas Story from Luke. Maybe eat a tamale...go to bed...wish for He Man, new bikes, or video games for Atari.

Nowadays, life goes too quick for me. I now know the slower pace my parents took with me was the exception not the rule. Possibly for living in the Texas Hill Country. As we sit, my honey and I, during one of our favorite times of the day (nap time), blogging, I know we've instituted our own traditions. More traditional of our old ones, but as meaningful. Cookies and milk for Santa, hanging with the inlaws and outlaws on both sides during the holidays, and learning the true meaning of what this season is about. Giving, sharing, and Jesus, from the eyes of a three year old and 1.5 year old.

Anyways, for those of you that skipped to the First 5 list...here it is.

FIRST 5 BEST CHRISTMAS CARTOONS

5. Veggie Tales-The Star Of Christmas-Probably not well known, but as some one who has seen it in it's entireity literally fifty times, it is well done. It is humorous and it is meaningful. It has comedy and heart all in one. The usual Veggie Tales touch. The only reason it's not higher is because of its relative anonymity.

4. The Polar Express. One word...Cool. From the story line to the effects it is just a cool flick. Tom Hanks is fabulous as usual. Their portrayal of the North Pole during Christmas is just what I always dreamed it to be.

3. The Grinch That Stole Christmas. Classic and cool. The cartoon version has some of the best music of any cartoon, 'You're a mean one...Mr. Grinch.' is just awesome. Plus, really can any of you really blame the guy? He's against all the Who's because of their materialism and noise. But, once he finds out that their is 'something more' to Christmas he becomes an old softy.

2. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer-When I was a kid this was the ultimate show. You looked for this and when it happened to be on you watched it with a sort of happy nervous feeling. Technically not a cartoon, (Screw it, my list I'll change the rules if I want to)but the claymation made it look sort of creepy. To be honest, that built in creepy effect, especially with the Abominal Snowman, made this show truly amazing. Also, hearing Burl Ives singing 'Silver and Gold' is truly an every year Christmastime need for me.

1. Merry Christmas Charlie Brown-The original one. Every thing is spot on in this one. From the materialism of everyone around Charlie Brown, including his dog, to the small 'underdog' tree he's bought, to the Christmas Story told by Linus (again another holiday staple that I never get tired of hearing.) There is comedy and loads and loads of heart. Plus, a little Christmas magic as they turn that pathetic little shrub of a tree to a beautiful mini Christmas Tree.

Well, there's my list. Kids are waking up...so Lane has gotta go do what Lane does best. Watch football!!.

Adios.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing beats Charlie Brown's Christmas cartoon. Can't watch Linus without getting a tear in my eye. :)

    ReplyDelete